Monday, March 22, 2010

Gateway to the Bay Triathlon & Day 1 of Push Up Challenge



First a PSA for Houston Area Triathletes:

Volunteers are needed for the 1st Gateway to the Bay Sprint  & Olympic Triathlon being held on April 10th & 11th.  Here is a message from the website for Volunteers:


Individual & Group Volunteers Needed! 
Great for aspiring Triathletes to get their foot in the door! 

Come help out at Gateway and see how it all works. 

We are in need of volunteers for Gateway. If you’ve never done a triathlon before but have always wanted to this is a great opportunity. Come help us out at Gateway and get a first hand look at how a triathlon is done. It’s an easy first step towards your first triathlon and it’s a lot of fun cheering & helping the athletes out.
We need everyone’s help, even those of you racing, to make this first year a success. If you can find time to spare on the day(s) you’re not racing we would greatly appreciate it. Remember groups are eligible for financial donations as long as they stay for the duration of the race and are organized and provide rosters at time of check-in/out. All volunteers (group or individuals) get a event shirt, food, and are entered into our raffles.
Click the black button below to register online free of charge. Those that register online will have already signed the USAT waiver and are good to go when they show up on race day. If you have a group that’s interested and you would like to learn more about our donation program please email us at aaron@onurmark.net. Thank you!

This is a great early season event that is offering slots into the Escape from Alcatraz Tri and more importantly it is a new Triathlon to the Houston area and really needs the support of local Triathletes. So if you can do it please volunteer.

*********************************************************************************

So today was a good day.  Got in 2000M in the pool and a 5.5 mile run and 5 sets of Push Ups.  I am one  tired puppy!  Now it is time to admit something, "I think I made a terrible mistake!"  These push ups were HARD!  Okay, maybe it is not that bad but these push ups were killer.  Annie and I did our sets together and we were wiped out afterwards and we still had to go run. Since I did 41 I started on Wk3 and did 5 sets - 14, 18, 14, 14 & 20.  The 20 was the minimum max and it was all I could do.  My arms felt like two pieces of spaghetti hanging from my torso.

***FYI - If you need the Push Up Workouts/Calendars they are post under our names on the left ***

The good news about making this "terrible mistake" is that 45 of you have made it right along with me!  So we are all in this together people, let's HTFU and get all ripped up over the next 6 weeks!

Let me know how you all are doing with the push ups and if you experienced the pain I did today.

One more thing - KC @ 140 point 6 miles is having a Road ID Give-away.  Both my wife and I wear a Road ID when we are outdoors training and I am a big believer that everyone should have one.  So go over to KC's blog and put your name in the hat.

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

12 comments:

  1. So I did my 5 sets today 15, 20, 15, 15 and did 35 for the last set to max out (no clue how) and I was like wait...if this is week 3, how am I supposed to theoretically be able to do 100 in 3 more weeks! I feel the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, 12,17,13,13 and 16.5....hahaha
    really tough...I will stay 3 weeks on my third week...as you suggested!!

    Cheers from Hong Kong!

    "XTB" Xavi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10, 12, 7, 7, 15 after my run today. It didn't hurt so much...but i'd rather not rush into things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice training day big swim, good run mileage and the pushups from hell. Ok, I also did day 1 of week 3. My results... 14, 18, 14, 14, 14, 55. My shoulders were burning and I could not get 56.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 47 PU's after my standard Chest & Back routine. Not bad, but I'm toast. Quite sore this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adjusted my psuh u[s bu 1 day so tonight is my turn. after reading all the oain that everyone is in, I should have done it yesterday with no prior knowledge! Oh well, here goes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got started last night. Went well...gotta work on my breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spaghetti arms are good! It means it's all working, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn, everyone is BRINGING IT!!! It is very cool we are all doing this together!

    Jon - have you tried bilateral breathing? ...heheh ...sorry couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in the middle of a "work the core" challenge, and added pushups for the heck of it. I can do....ten.

    I've seen your face pop up on some blogs and I thought I would swing by and check out your blog! Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Molly, good luck with your push ups and the work the core challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i did mine last night! 14-18-14-14-20 (week 3). i could NOT get more than 20 in the "max" set. i will probably be hanging around week 3 for more than 1 week :)

    ReplyDelete