Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Single Step ...

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
- Lao-tzu

I have always appreciated this quote and have often thought of it when standing at the starting line of some of my races.  At 4:00am this morning I thought about it when the alarm went off and I had to go to Master's swim class.  The significance of today's swim is that it was the first workout of my Ironman Texas journey.

This was my first time back in the pool in a couple of weeks and it was no walk in the park either.  Or more precisely stated - my arse got handed to me.  It is amazing how much swim fitness has been lost in just under a month's time?  My training plan called for me to do 1800 yds but my master's coach, Katy,  had put together a 3000yd workout with a bunch of intervals.  I was able to do 2500yds and ended up skipping the final 500yds of drills.  I was wasted and my left hammy was cramping up. Good start to the the first day!

I just finished up the second workout which was an hour on the bike.  This was done on the trainer at an aerobic Zone 2 pace - I love the base phase of my training plans!  Legs are feeling spry and have another AM trainer ride and PM run tomorrow.
-------------------------------------------
AM - Swim - 2500 yards
PM - Bike - 18 miles
-------------------------------------------

Day One in the Books!

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

17 comments:

  1. Let the journey begin! Can't wait to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just that much closer. I love that saying, it never gets old and is oh, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be following along the entire way. Good luck and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the first day, and you're already into two-a-days? Wow. Training camp just started and you're not even into pads yet. :-)

    Great job. Train smart & stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Correction: "The journey of 140.6 miles..." :) haha

    I can't believe your training is already starting. It seems like your off season just flew by.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Up by 4AM? What are F&@*#$%* Crazy!"

    Haha! I love that video Mandy sent us!

    Congrats on officially starting your IronJourney. Give youself a week and you will be back to where you were before in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine begins Jan 3rd

    Tis the season for a hurting

    Hey, BTW, did you see on the Biggest Loser that .........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo Hoo! IM training has begun and I am going to live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So freaking awesome.

    YAY YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ironman is not a day of racing. It is the entirety of your training. You'll see what I mean when you cross the finish line.
    Welcome to Ironman. This is going to be epic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exciting that your training has started! You have me a bit scared, you took a month off, I've taken nearly 3. I may need to learn to swim all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for starting an exciting adventure in training! I don't start my training until April, so I'm excited to follow you through your training!

    About my winter tri maintenance plan, I actually got one from beginnertriathlete.com. You can go to the program link on the top of the page and it will give you different training plan options. I like the plan, but since I'm still marathon training, I'll have to tweak it a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great job and good luck with the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great! Good luck with your training! :)

    ReplyDelete