Monday, September 28, 2009

1/2 Marathon Training: Recap & 9 Mile Run

Howdy y'all ...

Well, I've been away for a few days with work and babysitting. Thursday I did get in my scheduled 30 minute run. I didn't have my Garmin but am guessing I ran around 3.5 miles or so. Friday and Saturday were complete wastes of a day because of work so I was unable to do anything other than work.

I got back to Houston late on Saturday and went to stay at my friends house where Annie was waiting for me. She was with the kids (1.5 and 3.5 years old) and we played all night. I was completely exhausted and crashed out as soon as the kids did.

On Sunday morning I got up before everyone else and went out in my friends neighborhood to get in my 9 miles. Last week I was all excited because the humidity was dramatically reduced. Well, the humidity was back and stronger than ever. I was sweating by the time I hit the bottom of the driveway - man it was hot! However, I pushed on and got through the entire 9 miles and it took me 1 hour and 28 minutes. That is a 9:45/mile pace, not bad for 9 miles in a blast furnace!

We are starting Week 7 of the Half Marathon Training Program. Here is the schedule for the rest of the week:

WEEK 7:

MON: 45 min moderate
TUE: 30-40 min (Swimming)
WED: 50 min easy
THU: 30-40 min (Swimming)
FRI: 30 min easy
SAT: 10 miles conversational
SUN: Cycling

I am going to try and work in some additional swimming during the week when I can.

Today is the 45 min moderate run. I'd love to do it outside but it is POURING right now. Might be a treadmill day!

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

4 comments:

  1. Wow, 9 miles... and you were booking! Super Job, Jeff! To average that pace in humidity over 9 miles is great! Man, I wish I were 20 years younger. Oh well, I can live my life through you now.

    How long is your half marathon program? It seems like you are hitting peak miles for your long run very early. What are you plans once you hit 13 during training?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Jeffe!

    I didn't read about any kids being found duct-taped to walls in Texas, so I'm assuming you guys made it through your weekend!

    While you're suffering through your humidity, we're having temps in the high 40's this morning. The windows were open last night and it was glorious! It's a good thing too...our AC konked out last week and I'm twisting the arms of three HVAC companies to give me the best deal here at month-end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boomer - The program is only 10 weeks. Probably why it ramped up so quick! After the 10 miles this weekend it started to taper off ,.... 8 miles, 6 miles ...etc. We have decided to junk that and just keep going longer each Saturday!

    Heck, after I read your post about running 15 miles I was wishing I was 20 years older!! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve - Annie and I survived our friends kids this weekend. They are fun but also tiring. I was more exhausted keeping up with them then I was after running 9 miles!

    Very jealous of your cooler weather ! Has it dried up there yet or are you guys still soaked?

    ReplyDelete