Tuesday, September 15, 2009

P90X Hybrid Day 39: Back and Biceps + ARX - Will Miss You Tony Horton

The alarm went off this morning at 4:30 am and I could not do it. I was just wasted and I needed the extra rest. I wanted to get up and run this morning but I could not do it. If you have been reading my blog over the last year or so you probably would have expected me to get up and do this run. And on most days I would but for some reason I was just beat? That being said I have finally realized the value and importance of rest when your body is screaming for it.

After a long day at work I did end up at the gym and got in the P90X Back & Bicep and Ab Ripper X. I hate to say it but this is getting easy - Ab Ripper X too.

Yesterday I mentioned that I have decided on my future fitness goals and here is what I have decided:

Ok, I have decided to get serious about this Triathlon stuff. I am going to enter a bunch more events and train like crazy. I am going to do a Sprint on October 18 and a 10K on October 31. After that a 1/2 Marathon on Feb 14th (and am kicking around the idea of doing the full marathon). At the end of April I am going to do an Olympic Triathlon in Galveston. I plan on spending the rest of the summer doing a few more sprints and then in November of 2010 I am going to do a 1/2 Ironman - 1.2 Mile Swim, 56 mile Bike, 13.1 Mile Run - crazy! If I put it in print on this blog then it will make me accountable.

I love P90X and it has gotten me to this point in my life. But it might be time to part ways. I have been struggling with the balance between strength/weight lifting and cardio training. I like the way my upper body looks when I lift weights, but the 4-5 hours a week I am doing could be used for cardio. Strength training, other than my core, is probably not going to be needed all that much. This is Day 39 since I began another round of P90x. There will not be a day 40.

Tomorrow is a 50 minute run!

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I love your conviction. Yes, ARX is easy compared to all the stuff that Steve introduced us to!

    I am 100% with you on your decision. You are an athlete now. P90X is a great workout, but you are at another level now.

    In my head I think how great it would be to do an Ironman someday, but I feel like I just don't have the time to train. I mean, just training for a marathon takes a big commitment. I can't imagine adding a marathon after biking 112 miles and swimming 2.4 miles. The training would be brutal. In fact, a HIM seems a bit far for me, especially at my age. For now a marathon and going for Oly distance triathlons are things I can almost wrap my head around. I, too, would like to concentrate on triathlons. With your commitment, I have no doubt in my mind that you will train for and complete a 1/2 Ironman... no doubt at all.

    You are at a great age for endurance training. A young man in his 30's has a body that is young enough to push hard and a mind that is mature enough to be responsible for the training.

    What's cool is that I don't have to push past an Oly distance now. I can live vicariously through you!!!

    Goodbye day 39, hello the rest of your life.

    Dude, you are en feugo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Si! Jeffe es en fuego!

    I think it was Sparky Anderson who, when he saw the added bulk of one of his players (Nelson Simmons)at the beginning of spring training said "If you play baseball, train to play baseball. If you play baseball, don't train to play football."

    Being a triathlete requires a different training regimin altogether. Doing another round of the "X", with dumbbells and cables no less, would do more harm than good to your shoulders as you try to swim.

    I totally support your decision. You have to train for your sport. You're certainly not bagging P90X because its too tough, or that you don't have the drive. You're committed to a different sport and P90X didn't further your fitness level for that sport. Nothing against the X at all...but doing your bricks, swims, rides, runs, coupled with occasional strength training will make you a better triathlete.

    For those lurkers who read your blog, seeking motivation for P90X, here it is: You couldn't have, or wouldn't have, been able to take on triathlons had you NOT done P90X. Look how far you've come in a year! Wow dude. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boomer - Thanks for the vote of confidence buddy!

    As you know, it has been a struggle trying to s/b/r and do 3-4 days of weight lifting. I basically had to make a decision. Lift or Triathlon. They just don't seem to work together very well. I am going to Triathlon then I might as well set some goals and have a plan. And then just work the plan ...pretty simple, huh?

    The cool thing is my Oly is in April so I will begin the 20-week program in December. So that means you and me are going to be doing a bunch of similar training --ie: running like mad men! We will have to live vicariously through Steve's strength workouts ...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve. The Sparky Anderson quote pretty much sums it up perfectly for me ... nice pull!

    And you are 100% right about P90X. Without it none of us would be where we are now. P90X gave me the base that was needed to ever even consider doing triathlons. Not to mention it also is the reason I am a lean 155 lbs and not 190+lbs. I owe a kings ransom to Tony Horton and the Beachbodies crew. Wonderful product!

    And I also am aware that alot of people read this blog daily because of P90X and my reviews. Hopefully, these people will still find the motivation they are looking for with my new training. By knowing that one of the reasons I am able to set my goals this high is because of P90X. And if not, all the P90X workouts are archived on the right hand tool bar ...lol!

    ReplyDelete