Thursday, July 23, 2009

Triathlon Training: 1000 Yard Swim

Well, I just realized I forgot to post yesterday! I got caught up in a book and read it through the night and never even check anything online. Was a good book, I guess!

9 days until the Triathlon!

It should be a fun weekend. My friend Chris is also doing the Tri and his wife and mine are good friends so we rented a house in New Braunfels for the weekend. On Friday afternoon we are going to make the 3 hour drive to the house and then Chris and I are going to go to the local bike shop that is sponsoring the event in Austin to pick up our race package and register. Then on Saturday morning we are renting tubes and floating down the river. This is an absolute blast and usually requires a cooler full of beer! I might have one or two but will probably designate myself as the driver so I am not tempted to have more. We figure after the tubing we can hit a nice restaurant and carb-load away and turn in early that night. The race starts at 8am on Sunday morning and is about 15 minutes from where we are staying. I am planning on getting there by 6:30am to get the transition area all set to go.

Anyways, yesterday I went to the gym and again there was a group in the indoor pool. It turns out that it is the local high school and they are holding try outs this week. And the goofy french looking dude with the crazy accent I mention the other day is the swim coach - always makes me laugh when stereotypes are spot on! And the first lane is open for us members so my bitching was somewhat short-sighted, but a couple of water-walkers were in the lane moving rather slow. Since it was around 6:30 and the sky was clear I went to the outdoor pool.

The water temperature was pretty much like a bath - very warm! But that is good because I imagine the lake I am swimming in is going to be 80+ degrees so it is good to get used to it! I felt pretty strong in the water and I can tell my conditioning is coming back. I was on my 40th lap when I noticed a little old lady was trying to get my attention. I stopped and looked at her and she said, "What the hell are you doing?", shocked I looked back at her and said, "What the hell you talking about?", she pointed to the sky, which was filled with lightning bolts and was no longer clear. She then purposefully strode away without another word - nice. I was so engrossed in counting my bilateral strokes that I didn't even notice the huge storm clouds developing overhead and the accompanying light show! So I jumped out of the pool and ran for cover.

Probably could have done another 20 laps but I had such a strong swim that I cannot complain.

I was planning on Swimming again today but have decided to go Running instead and let my swimming muscle recover a little. This way I can swim tomorrow and then on Saturday I should be fresh for my bike-run brick!

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment