Thursday, July 23, 2009

Triathlon Training: 3 Mile Run + Nutrition Review

Started the morning off with my usual 2 scoops of Whey protein with ice, a banana, and fat free organic milk in the blender for a tasty vanilla shake. I also had a whole wheat bagel with 2 teaspoons of organic peanut butter. Around 10:30am I had a chocolate chip cookie dough flavored Balance Bar for a snack. For lunch I changed it up a little and had an Almond Mocha High Protein Shake from the Smoothie King. The thing has like 50G's of Protein so it really feels me up. I had a banana and some almonds for a midday snack and for dinner I had whole wheat pasta with 8oz of scallops using extra virgin olive oil as the sauce! I probably had 15-18 cups of water so far today.

I haven't talked much about nutrition since I finished P90X, but this is pretty close to what I do daily. Except I usually have a turkey or chicken sandwich for lunch. I usually take in between 150-200 G's of Protein and at least that much in complex carbs. If I add up the calories each day I am always between 2400-3000. So, basically I am doing phase 2 and sometimes phase 3 of the P90X diet.

The reason I bring this up today is because it has been awhile since I weighed myself in the morning and my weight is 152 lbs. When I began P90X I was 181 lbs and 6 months before I began P90X I was over 195 lbs. Since I began training for the triathlon my weight has dropped about 4 lbs. The real kicker is that I feel absolutely wonderful.

If you are reading this post and are considering doing P90X or have already started but you haven't really committed to the nutrition plan you might as well just stop right now. Sure the P90X workouts are hard, but you will not see results like you do on the infomercial or even on my blog if you ignore the nutrition plan. If you are going to half-ass it then why even do it? Commit fully or not at all!

I am living proof that the P90X nutrition plan doesn't have to end after 90 days. My intention was not to get on my soapbox here, but I get so sick of hearing people make excuses about nutrition. (Yes, I had this conversation with someone today!) None of us are perfect when it comes to clean eating. I have made poor choices at times, Tony Horton probably has too. The key is to make a hell of lot more good choices than poor and you will succeed at this. But it is up to you and you alone. Do not blame the restaurant, the party, the friend, the family member, the co-worker, the busy schedule .. blah, blah, blah. If it was easy everyone would do it. So suck it up, quit crying about it, and just make some sacrifices.

Alright, I am done. Ended up hitting the treadmill today again instead of running outside. We had much welcomed rain showers, some violent, popping up all over the place! This was my 3rd day of running in the last four and I must admit the legs felt a little rubbery today. I ended up running 3 miles in 26 minutes. A couple of minutes slower than I'd like but overall not too bad. I used the heart rate monitor on my Garmin today just to see how it was going. The Garmins GPS function is rendered useless indoors so I can only use the timer and heart rate functions. I stayed around 165 bpm and ran at a 7.o mph pace.

Tomorrow I am going to swim 1500 yards and on Saturday a bike-run brick is in the plans!

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

1 comment:

  1. I liked you post today. I try to tell people that P90X is easily 70% nutrition.

    Speaking of nutrition, I am back to keeping a food log again and doing my 40/40/20 ratio. I gained a few pounds and popped over 10% BF. I want to get just below 10 again. 8.5 was too low.

    So, hey, you are getting close to your race! I am excited for you. You are going to have a blast. I had a big smile on my face as a crossed the finished line and I can just picture the same for you. You are going to do real well.

    Have a nice swim tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete