Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Triathlon Training Days 73 & 74: Swimming, Stationary Bike, ARX, and Pamplona!

Good to back in the pool. Was able to go to the gym this evening and get in 750 yards (30 laps). I was a little rusty in the beginning but the good news was that my conditioning is as good as ever. I would have done more then 30 laps but the local swim group had the pool reserved so I had to leave. Instead of going home I went and rode 10 miles on the stationary spinning bike and did Ab Ripper X. Very solid cardio day.

Yesterday ended up being a missed workout day because it was the end of the month. As an outside sales rep I have a monthly quota that I am responsible for. And the company also has a monthly goal as well. We all had to push hard and it resulted in me getting up at 5am and getting home a 10pm. I was actually going to try and get a P90X workout in but by the time I changed out of my suit and tie the adrenaline of the day had passed and I couldn't even muster enough energy to check my email!

Well, I have two more days left to get my workouts in before I leave for Spain! When I return on July 10th I plan on doubling up my cardio workouts. Morning and Night until a few days before the race when I will taper. July 11th and 12th will be butt kickers and then on Monday the 13th I am having all four wisdom teeth removed. That should be a blast! I will probably be down for a day or two (hopefully not more) after that fun procedure.

My schedule in Spain is probably not going to allow any workouts. On Friday night we are flying to Newark, NJ. On Saturday morning we are going to the Nathan's Hotdog eating contest. I know it is gross but it should be a fun time nonetheless!

On Saturday night our plane leaves (10 and 1/2 hours) and we arrive in Madrid on Sunday morning. From there we need to find our way to the train station and make the 3-4 hour ride to Pamplona. On Monday morning the festival for San Fermin kicks off followed by an entire day of partying. Tuesday morning we have a balcony reserved to watch the opening day of the Running of the Bulls and hopefully get some good photos and video. That night will be another big party night. On Wednesday we have a guided tour of the street on which we will be running. We will determine our starting and jump off points. Followed by another night of partying! Thursday morning we will be running. After that we are taking a train back to Madrid, spending the night in a yet-to-be-determined location, and catching the flight back to the States on Friday morning. I think we arrive back in Houston around 10:30 on Friday night.

It should be a fun man-cation with my buddies and I will miss working out but how often do you get to go run with the bulls in Pamplona?

Tomorrow is a hard 4 mile run and another ARX session.

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

6 comments:

  1. Great workouts today! Your cardio conditioning is excellent. P90X was a good base to launch us into the endurance sports.

    Your Pamplona vacation sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the Spain trip and the running of the bulls sounds awesome! Have fun over there and be safe. BTW, will we see post-wisdom teeth extraction pics? All four at once...yeah, there might be some swelling.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,
    How did you go about planning this trip? The details of it sound awesome and I was thinking "that sounds like it would be fun some year", so I figured I'd ask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ash, we found deals online. I used orbitz to find cheap flights and we are staying at a rented house in Pamplona. If you have a group it is much cheaper to get a house than a hotel.

    It was a little labor intensive setting it all up but we were able to do it rather inexpensively.

    I let you know how it went when we get back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your style, the fact that your site is a little bit different makes it so interesting, I get fed up of seeing same-old-same-old all of the time.

    ReplyDelete