Wednesday, October 7, 2009

1/2 Marathon Training: Back Pain

We got up early again today and I was feeling really tight. Probably not a surprise after swimming as much as I did yesterday.

We walked outside and if humidity was ranked on a scale of 1-10 it would have been an 11. It was just awful. So we started our run and immediately I was having some problems with my breathing and my back. It was about midway up on the left side. Everytime my left foot hit the ground the back would throb and my right pec muscle would tense up. I made it maybe a 1/4 of a mile and had to stop. I tried to stretch out my back and run some more but I just couldn't. I walked back to the house and took a hot shower and tried to stretch out some more. Really didn't help.

Annie got back from her run and rubbed my back a little and said it was like a softball was in there!

As many broken bones and injuries as I have had over the years luckily enough I have never had any back problems so this is kinda odd. I am not real sure what to think of this. I am hopeful it is just a minor ache and will go away with a rest today. As I sit here and type it is still pretty sore. Going to have to sleep on it and apply some more heat and see how I feel in the morning. The only good news is that the chest isn't really bothering me right now.

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

4 comments:

  1. RICE it up and see how you feel tomorrow. I know you have a training plan, but remember bro you only have one body man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, RICE it up! I had a back injury while in the military and it ain't no joke.

    I am guessing it will be a minor problem that will go away. In the meantime, take it easy. You have been hitting it hard so your fitness level is crazy high!

    When I say prayers with my son tonight, I will put in a good word for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprised that a hot shower didn't do the trick. Rest is almost always the answer, but its the hardest thing to do. Maybe hit one of your doctors up for a sample pack of Flexeril? I have a few of those left over from a muscle-spasm episode earlier this year and just one helps tremendously...plus it gives me a great nights sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am RICEing away! Feeling much better today. I didnt workout at all and am going to run tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete