Monday, October 12, 2009

Cross Training Day: 1000 Meter Swim

I had one of those awful, tossing and turning type of nights! My body felt exhausted but for some reason I just could not fall asleep? And because of the crappy night of sleep I was off pretty much the entire day!

I had an afternoon conference call that lasted until about 4:30 and then it was off to the gym for a swim. I have a sprint triathlon coming up on Sunday so I really wanted to focus on form, breathing and sighting. The swim portion of the Tri is only 300 meters so I decided to do 300 meters in the pool at while breathing every other stroke on my right side. This is 12 laps in the 25 meter pool. I used the lap clock and after the 12 laps my time was 6 minutes and 5 seconds. That is a little over 2 minutes per 100 meters which for me is a pretty decent time. Now I probably won't be able to maintain this pace in the open water of the lake on Sunday but it is a nice confidence booster to hit that time!

Then for the next 700 meters I would do ten easy strokes focusing on my form and then look up to work on sighting. Then repeat! After I hit lap 40 I decided to call it a day. My legs, ankles and feet were feeling some fatigue from yesterday's run.

Tomorrow is a running day. Annie and I will get up early to do it but I am not sure what we are supposed to do? We switched over the the Hal Higdon training program and she has been planning it all out and I think took it to work with her? Guess it will be a surprise! Probably be a 4-5 mile run.

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

4 comments:

  1. Rock out the Sprint Tri this weekend bro. :) Will the Sprint Tri have a buoy line? If so you can use that to help with sighting and make it easier to go fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff... are you doing flip turns? if not, then your 300 time might be a pretty good indicator of your time. Btw, I can't do a flip turn to save my life.

    You must be pretty excited about your triathlon. I am looking forward to your race report.

    Btw, the double digit runs are tough on the body. It is perfectly understandable that you feel the fatigue. However, you were still able to rip out 1000 meters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh,

    Not sure if they have a buoy line. It is a straight swim from one side of the lake to other so it should be pretty easy to stay the course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boomer - I cannot do flip turns. I actually have never even tried! They intimidate me!

    I am hopeful I can get into the tri. It is sold out but they are selling packets on Saturday afternoon of the ones that didn't get claimed! Keeping my fingers crossed!

    And I am still a little fatigued from the run!

    ReplyDelete