Sunday, October 4, 2009

P90X Stretch X & Rain

Oh well - some days mother nature just doesn't cooperate with your plans - what are you to do?

I woke up around 7:30 this morning. Which is crazy because I went to bed at 9:30 last night! I usually never sleep that long but when I woke up I felt great! A little sore but completely rested. Now I didn't set an alarm like usual and just figured I'd wake up when ready. Part of the reason I snoozed so long was that when I did finally get up it was still pretty dark outside. It was raining. Not a thunderstorm or a torrential down pour which is very common to us Houstonians but a mere shower.

Now I planned on driving down to Huffman with my bike to bust it up on a hard 10 mile ride, but I really didn't want to do this in the rain. I can't say I really mind the rain but it can be dangerous for us bikers. Drivers have lower visibility and the skinny tires on the Tri bikes become slick. I just figured I'd wait until a little later in the morning until it stopped raining. Well, the morning came and went and it was still raining. Then the afternoon came and went and it is STILL raining. The one good thing that has come from this experience is that I have decided to save up and buy an indoor trainer for the bike. This would be a perfect item for watching football all day on Sundays - I could do Century Rides in my living room! Not sure which trainer yet but if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

With the day being a washout, literally. I still wanted to do something. My legs and hips were feeling some of the residual effects of yesterday's run and because of that doing anything high impact was out so I did --- P90X Stretch X!

It has been months since I have done Stretch X and after doing it all I can think of is that the rain must have been a sign from above! I mean I feel so freaking good right now. Especially my ankles, calves, hamstrings, and quads. I guess I didn't even realize how tight I actually was until I am no longer. That may not make sense but just know that Stretch X is just what I needed!

Well, I am in the middle of watching my Steelers kick the stuffings out of the Chargers right now. It is only the first quarter but they are finally looking like the Super Bowl Champs from last season. Now they just have to close! Here we go Stillers!

Tomorrow is a 50 minute easy run with a 5am wake-up call!

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

5 comments:

  1. You probably woke a up little later due to the long run. Your body thanks you for the rest!!!

    Good call on the Stretch X. I need to do a session. Maybe, after my knee gets better. The lateral pressure of some of the Stretch X moves are hard on my knee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. X Stretch is a great little workout. It's almost as soothing as some of the Yoga.

    Good call on not riding in the rain. Rain does more to your bike than you realize. I wouldn't take your Quintano Roo out there unless absolutely necessary...unless you had an overhaul or maintenance adjustment coming up at your shop. When I stopped riding and sold my bike, a girl in Charlotte, NC needing a "rain bike" bought it.

    As for indoor trainers...try them out at your shop first. I know products have changed since I had my trainer, but "magnetic trainers" make a lot of noise, but give the best resistance. I had one made by CycleOps, and it was pretty good. Don't get a trainer than requires your front fork to be mounted to it. It can tweak and realign your fork without you knowing about it. I don't think they make this type anymore, but I'm sure there are a few still out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, I haven't really started looking into the trainers too much but if you don't mind I'd like to run it by you first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be honored, Jeff. I will say though, that I sold my bike and trainer ten years ago (ugh...can it be that long ago???), so my expertise may be lacking, but I'll be glad to toss in my 2-cents (3-cents after the stimulus plan kicks in!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a blackburn ultra trainer that has worked out pretty well for me.

    ReplyDelete