Sunday, May 3, 2009

Triathlon Training Day 15: 3.5 Mile Run

My new Garmin 305 Forerunner absolutely rocks! I took it on my jog today and the instant feedback it provides is so critical to training. This HRM is so much more accurate than the crappy Reebok one I had been using and I love having instant distance feedback while running.

I did something very different today and that was hide my timer feature on the Garmin. I want to train by keeping my HR in the Aerobic zone for the majority of my runs. Lately, I have found myself pushing a little too hard to get a better time and the downside of this is that my HR would jump into the Anaerobic zone as I'd sprint to hit the 1st mile marker or close out the last half mile. I also ran a different route so I wouldn't have any landmarks for distances. The results were that my average HR was 154 BPM and I did the 3.5 miles in 30:49. Not my fastest time but definitely my most efficient!

It was freaking hot today too! The temperature was only 82 degrees but the humidity was excessive. By the time I got back to the house I was drenched. Once we start hitting the brutal temperatures of the SouthEast Texas summers my training is going to have to start during pre-daylight hours! I am not looking forward to this but it is going to be necessary - and my Triathlon starts at 8am so it will be good to get my body used to the early start.

Oh, I officially registered for the Triathlon this weekend. And I signed up for a years membership the the United States Triathlon Association (USTA). So no turning back now!!

Tomorrow is going to be a Total Immersion Swim Day again. I am going to continue to practice my drills and get in as many laps as physically possible!

Also, I am now 6 days away from starting my BSN Supplements again. Really, I cannot wait. I can honestly say I have not done any research to see of Nitrix and NOXplode are used for Triathletes but I can see a big difference in the intensity of my training since I have stopped using them! It will be interesting to see if I notice a difference.

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

7 comments:

  1. p90xtreme mamaMonday, 04 May, 2009

    So glad you like your new "toy"... My husband has been flipping out at all the extra money I am spending on my diet alone, I don't think he 'd be thrilled if I got into the tri like you are doing, but it sounds amazing. I am not a distance runner so I don't think I could do it, but that is great for you. I have to share my happy moment from last week. I did kenpo with wrist and ankle weights... even the breaks including the x's. I thought my arms and legs were going to fall off after that, but I was so proud of myself for pushing it through! I just wanted to say, I am still here and reading and keep up the good work. (The wrist weights were 1lb each and the ankles were 2.5lbs each!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hot here in Hawaii today. No tradewinds today. It is about 85 with big time humidity. I know this kind of weather sounds familiar to you folks in the south. Anyway, I am going for a run around 2pm.

    Its cool that you are now registered for your event. It really seals the commitment.

    The Garmin rocks! I like the way you can format the display to output only the info you want.

    Boomer
    Project Exercise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man I love the blog. Im about to start my P90x routine. check out my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. X-mama, Yes I love my new Garmin! And yes the price tag on all this workout stuff can add up rather quickly - especially the food - it is not cheap to eat clean!

    Glad to hear the extra weight is helping with Kenpo workouts. I may have to try that on my next round b/c Kenpo got rather boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boomer - That is hot for you guys! 85 and humid is pretty much the norm here. Early morning training might be starting sooner rather than later!

    i went swimming today and was going through Garmin withdrawal. I might just start wearing it around during my days so it can track every place I drive and walk throughout Houston!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craig - Good luck with P90X. Saw on your blog that you are a big dude, you will drop the 30lbs you want in no time if you follow the nutrition plan. The workouts are awesome but the nutrition plan is the key!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually the weather is pretty boring here. It is like 85 all year round. The humidity index changes with the trade winds. I have been trying to run in the heat lately to get used to it for my triathlon. Actually I have a 5k charity run this Saturday.

    Boomer
    Project Exercise

    ReplyDelete