Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Triathlon Training Day 31: 3 Mile Aerobic Run

I am watching American Idol on the DVR right now. I haven't watched too much of it this season but the two kids they have in the finals are really good. The Lambert kid is extremely talented. Not really my type of music but you still have to respect his skill. Probably should have watched more this season ....

Anyways, I wanted to do a 5 mile run this evening but I ran out of daylight. I didn't get home until 7:30 - my options were to go to the gym and run on the treadmill (which I hate) or go run in the beautiful 72 degree Texas evening! Pretty much a no brainer! Only problem was that it got dark on me rather quick. I didn't want to end up roadkill so the safe decision was to call it a night and be happy with 3 miles.

Being in a hurry to get out the front door I forgot to put on my chest strap for my heart rate readings. I still had the Garmin but couldn't run by using my heart rate readings. So, I decided to take it slow and just chug along at a slow pace. In the end my time was 30 minutes for 3 miles. If I had to guess my HR it probably averaged around 145 BPM.

Usually I don't really enjoy jogging all that much. But today it was somewhat euphoric? I have been working a lot of long hours over the last few weeks and it was so relaxing today to just get away from the cell phone and computer and just run. For some reason I really needed this today and people who don't exercise probably have no idea what I am talking about because mentally I feel so much better.

Tomorrow is old school P90X Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps and maybe ARX.

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

4 comments:

  1. I notice that if I stay "well" within my aerobic zone, the run almost becomes pleasant.

    Good choice between the treadmill and running outside. I hate that machine. I actually own one... I never use it. Luckily, my wife likes to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weather has been perfect the last few days and I wanted to take advantage of that!

    By the time July rolls around the treadmill run will probably become a staple of my training .... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say that I am still here reading and pushing play. I bought a new digital scale the other day that shows percentages of body fat. I am happy to report that I am down to 16% body fat! For a female that is almost "elite athlete" stage!! And for a mother of two, whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the BF%! We have one of those digital scales too. Others have said they aren't that accurate but I have calipers also and my readings are usually pretty darn close!

    Good to hear you are still pushing play!

    When the weather breaks people seem to get distracted and exercise becomes secondary -- just check out my blogroll on the right hand side and look at how many haven't been updated in a while -- slackers ...lol!

    ReplyDelete