Tuesday, March 24, 2009

P90X Round 2 Day 65: Plyometrics

I made some Protein "bars" today.

The recipe is:

10 tsp of honey
5 scoops of whey protein (23G/scoop)
1 cup of 0% fat free organic milk
1/2 cup of peanut butter
2 cups of oats

Pour them all into a bowl and mix together. This takes a little time because it is pretty thick and sticky. Then spoon onto a baking sheet or brownie dish. Level it out with the back of a spoon and put it in the fridge to set. It has been in the fridge for about 5 hours now and it is still a little soft. Will probably need a couple more hours. When it hardens cut it up into bar sized servings and enjoy! I'd like to tell you they taste awesome but I haven't had one yet! I took the picture on the left so you could see what they look like and to me they look pretty darn good - can't wait to try one tomorrow!

I used vanilla whey protein but I heard that chocolate would work too. The online recipe I found said that if I cut the above dish into 8 bars the nutritional breakdown would be: 25G Protein/25G Carbs/ 10G Fat/ 220 cals. I am not real sure how exact the measurements are but this is probably pretty close. The 5 scoops of Whey were a total of 115 G of Protein, then the oats and peanut butter make up the carbs and fat and a touch more protein. The milk is fat free but adds some calories. So, these measurements are pretty close in my estimation. The fat would be higher if you use skim or 1% milk.

The reason I decided to do this was because I was driving yesterday and started doing some math in my head. Pure Protein Bars cost $6 per box of 6. Between Annie and I we eat 4/day, 28/week, 112/month or $4/day, $28/week, $112/month. Or if we do this for a full year that is $1344 worth of protein bars - ridiculous! That a vacation dammit!

Okay so I did Plyo by myself today because Annie wanted to do a spin class at the gym. I took two scoops of NO Xplode about a 1/2 hr before the workout and it had me ready to go again! I burned 560 calories today and just had a consistently high intensity level throughout the entire workout. Everytime I do Plyo I just appreciate it more and more!

So, I am down to 25 days to go and I will be done with my second round of P90X. I have been kicking some ideas around as to what I want to do when I am done: Another round of P90X/P90X Plus, Chalean Extreme, train for a half marathon, or train for a triathlon (thanks to Boomer at Project Exercise for this idea!). That is the choices I am down to right now. If I do the marathon or triathlon training I will still do all the P90X resistance days and just switch the cardio days out with running, swimming, or biking. My question is to all my fellow P90X buddies out there: What would you do?

Tomorrow is Shoulder, Arms, & ARX.

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

11 comments:

  1. I'm anxious to hear how those bars taste. I may have to do the same myself.

    Btw, of course, I vote for the triathlon/marathon. I have both on my bucket list. Like yourself, I will probably do P90X resistance and replace the cardio. I wouldn't mind keeping plyo/IXP in the mix though.

    Boomer
    Project Exercise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool deal the protein bars! Looking forward to your feedback on them.

    I'm an ex runner so I vote or a half marathon. Let me know if you need help with mapping out a schedule. I'm almost done with my 12 week round of a hybrid One on One/P90x round and I'm thing of doing Chalean Xtreme also. But I've heard that Shaun T is coming out with a new program called INTENSITY that is supposed to be good so I might wait for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Rice Krispie treats when I see 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You getting any of the jitters that alot of people describe when taking No-Explode? I've been interested in taking it but I had taken some of those effederine type products in the past and didn't want it if it made me feel that same way.

    Feeling your heart beat in your own chest while you're sitting at work is not my ideal workout supplement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff... I am currently reading a book, "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer" by David Whitseet, Forrest Dolgener and Tanjala Kole.

    I am planning on running the Honolulu Marathon in December. If I can pull that off, then I will try the Tin Man Triathlon July 2010. For now, however, I will concentrate on sprint tri's.

    If you are interested you can get the book at Amazon.

    Boomer
    Project Exercise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glenn - I have heard about the new Shaun T program. Looks like it is going to be a butt kicker. Originally I was thinking of Chalean extreme but I might need a change of scenery from my gameroom for the summer so I think I am going to do a sprint triathlon! Good to see your are still going strong with the X!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve -- they look exactly like rice krispy treats ... they taste good, just didnt harden up real well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ash - Can't say I have had that feeling with NO Xplode. No jitters either so far. I did with Super Pump250. I'd sit down and hear my heart beating and catch myself do a shiver every couple of minutes. It was a little disturbing. BUT, I am doing a stack with Nitrix, Cell Mass, and NO Xplode so this shit is basically running through my veins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boomer,

    I'll have to pick that book up. I am going to do a sprint tri on Aug 2nd at a place south of Austin. I am going to start the 13 week training program on May 3rd. it will be done on July 31st and then boom right in ...I'll post some links and plans up on my next post.

    Thanks for helping me out over on your blog with the Triathlon questions and getting me motivated to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What ended up being the cost of the protein bars per bar in comparison to the $1 bars that you were buying?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brian ...About .50 cents/bar was the breakdown. Unfortunately they are too mushy to bring with me in the car. I'm gonna try and find a recipe that can be baked.

    ReplyDelete