Wednesday, March 25, 2009

P90X Round 2 Day 66: Shoulders, Arms, & ARX ... and Triathlon Plans


I made up my mind on what to do after finishing this round of P90X! Yep, it is going to be a Sprint Triathlon. Jack's Generic Triathlon, on August 2, 2009 in New Braunfels, TX. The Triathlon will include: a 500 meter swim in a lake, followed by a 13.8 miles bike, and then a 5k run. I have been researching the event and it seems like it is a good Tri for beginners and is really well run. And New Braunfels is a fun little town where we can spend the weekend! I love P90X and now want to test the results and feel this is a pretty cool challenge. Thanks to Boomer, Steve, Glenn, Mike and Ryan for your suggestions. It was much appreciated!

So how am I going to train for this sucker? I am stuck between two programs and am looking for some insight from you guys. I am done with P90X on April 18th. I'd like to take a minimum of 2 weeks off and do just light cardio for maintenance. After my last round of P90X I realized that my body needs some recovery time because it is really beat up! This means I would be starting my next training program on May 3rd -- about 9o days before the Triathlon. I have two options. The first is a 13 Week Sprint Triathlon Training Program. It would end on July 31st - right before the event. I like it because it has two off days and I could work in P90X workouts to maintain the strength and muscle I have worked so hard to gain. The second option is an 8 week Sprint Tri program. It is a little more intense as it does a lot of doubles (swim and run or run and bike) but works in actual strength training into the program which is a plus. For this one I would just start it hardcore 3 weeks later and use the time to ramp up on my swimming. biking and running. So, if you guys don't mind, look them over and let me know what you think would be effective.

Oh, one other problem is I have two vacations scheduled in between. The first is to the Outer Banks with my family. This one will actually be good for training because my family is very active and they all workout and I could swim in the ocean. The second trip is going to be difficult. Me and a couple of buddies are going to Pamplona, Spain for the Running of the Bulls. Chances are the only training there is going to be me hauling ass for 2 minutes in front of some angry bulls! A rest week is called for during the middle of the 13 week program so this may be my out.

Anyways, Annie did the Shoulders, Arms and ARX again with me today. We both had a great workout. I actually burned 480 calories and she burned 320! It is really cool to see how good she is doing. She is at that point where she understands all the moves and is just focusing on form and reps and it is cool to see her grunting, sweating, and working her ass off. Also, I used 35lb or 25lb dumbbells for pretty much every curl and press. My strength has increased tremendously in the last few weeks and I am very psyched about it!

Tomorrow is my new favorite DVD -- Yoga!!! One thing for sure is that I will not take NO Xplode before yoga. I'd go crazy with as slow as yoga is!

Thanks for Reading,

Jeff

12 comments:

  1. That is great that you are commiting to a scheduled triathlon. Its always a good motivator to have something for which to train. I will post my plans on tomorrow's post at my site. Briefly though, I am considering a sprint triathlon scheduled for June 7 or one that is on June 28. Those are the last sprint tri's for quite a while in this area. I am planning a special training day tomorrow that will help me with my decision. I will also lay out my P90X/X+ Triathlon/Marathon training plans tomorrow too.

    Anyway, I vote for the 13 week program. It should put you where you want to be for the tri in August. Hopefully you can do some running on your vacation. I have a vacation that could affect my tri training too... just gotta run!

    Boomer
    Project Exercise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now THAT would be funny...No Xplode before Yoga! Can you imagine? I'm still chuckling over the thought of screaming and yelling while doing vinyasas. Ha!

    One thing you have to factor into the whole equation is the heat. I'd train wearing a jacket or something to replicate the heat/humidity of Texas in August. When my wife trained for a few road races, one thing she didn't took lightly was the weather. Heat and humidity is huge, no matter how you train.

    P90X is has been a HUGE benefit to my baseball. I know I'm quicker out of the box. I beat out a grounder to 2nd this past Sunday that I would not have beat out last year. I know you'll feel and see the benefits while you train for your triathlon.

    Sounds like you're in for quite a summer!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boomer, I agree with you about the 13 week program. it just fits so nicely into the schedule that it would be dumb of me not to do it!!

    I am intereted to hear how you special training program goes! Is the Tri you are doing in the ocean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to derail the plan, but have you considered starting with a dualathalon? With your training schedule it might be easier to train for biking and running and not have to add in a third "new" training program.

    I can't believe Yoga is your favorite workout. I can barely make myself do it most days. I think it's because it's so much longer than the other workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, I'd probably rip the TV off the wall and toss it down the stairs if I took the NO Xplode. Tony would say, "you can do a push here..or not" and I would snap...lol!

    Good call about the heat and humidity! Luckily (or maybe unluckily) the heat and humidity from mid-june on is about the same all the way through August so most of my training will be done during the peak of summer. The forecast everyday is Hi 95, low 82, humidity 86%, chance of afternoon thunderstorm .... repeat. We really don't even need a weatherman until late Aug when Hurricane season begins! The good news is that New Braunfels is about 3.5 hours West of me and the climate is still hot but usually the humidity isn't as bad. And the race begins at 8am -- I am hopeful I'll be done by 930!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony would say, "you can do a push here..or not" and I would snap...

    Oh man! Can't tell you how many times I've been bringin' it and he says "if you want to take a break, take it!". I literally have to STOP myself from stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ash - After 150 days I have finally learned to somewhat enjoy yoga. It is still my 12th favorite DVD of P90X. For some reason I no longer dread it. I do hate the time and skip a few exercises to speed it up but overall I am seeing some results in my body from yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Running with the bulls?! Now that's what I call VacationX!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff... yes I will be doing the swim in the ocean. I will probably train in the ocean as well as a pool in the meantime.

    Btw, I did a "brick" today... you can read about it on my Day 81 post.


    Boomer
    Project Exercise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, btw, I also posted my proposed P90X/X+ Triathlon/Marathon training in a separate post on my site.

    Jeff... It is nice to know that there are at least 2 wigged out Xers in the world! Misery loves company.

    Boomer
    Project Exercise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mark, It is going to be one hell of a vacation. Hoping I make it back in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jeff, congrats on making the commitment for the tri!! I have many friends who are triathletes and its a very, very fun event although I have never done one. The only downside I see at least from some of the triathlons that I see around here in so cal are that you are swimming with a lot of guys who are wearing just speedos swimming over each other, unless they're in wetsuits. Once you get out of the water, it will be a blast!! Look forward to reading during your training.

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete